Before General Anesthetic or Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation. Following these instructions will make you after care more comfortable and your care easier.
- YOU MUST NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK FOR AT LEAST 6-8 HOURS BEFORE YOUR SURGERY. This includes water or any other beverages unless otherwise directed by your surgeon. Please take you normal morning medications with a small amount of water, unless otherwise directed. Failure to follow theses instructions may result in rescheduling your surgery.
- YOUR ESCORT MUST REMAIN IN THE OFFICE DURING YOUR OFFICE VISIT AND BE ABLE TO DRIVE YOU HOME AFTER SURGERY.
- Please wear a short sleeve and loose fitting blouse or shirt to allow proper placement of monitors and venous access. Please do not wear excessive jewelry or necklaces and refrain from the use of contact lenses and false eyelashes. Wear you hair down and only wear light makeup. Wear comfortable slacks and shoes (NO FLIP FLOPS).
- If removable dental appliance is to be placed on the day of surgery, please bring it with you to your appointment.
- You should plan to rest at home for the remainder of the day of surgery. An escort should be available to assist you for at least 6 hours following surgery. You should not drive or operate machinery for at least 24 hours following surgery or within 24 hours of taking prescription pain medications.
- For Women Only: If there is a chance that you may be pregnant, please take a pregnancy test and discuss the results with your surgeon and staff prior to your surgical appointment.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
If you have any questions regarding these instructions, please feel free to call our office and we will be happy to assist you.